Shoes are Important, but Don’t Forget About Socks!

7 02 2012

Of course at Fleet Feet, we believe that proper shoes are an integral part of running. But have you taken time to stop and think about what kind of socks you’re wearing? Check out some of the stats below, and you’ll see why none of the socks that we sell are made of cotton. All of our socks will reduce blisters and bacteria and help to keep your feet cool, dry and happy!

The temperature of a naked foot is 94 degrees. The non-active temperature in a shoe is 105-125 degrees.

At rest, the average foot releases 1/4 cup of sweat each day.

On a five-mile run, your feet produce enough sweat to fill an 8 oz. glass.

55% of foot perspiration evaporates through the mesh upper of a shoe. The other 45% is absorbed into the shoe.

Two trillion bacteria live on your feet. That’s 12% of all the bacteria on the human body.

Here is a list of some of the brands we carry in the store:

Balega

DeFeet

Injinji

Smartwool

SockGuy

Wrightsock


Actions

Information

2 responses

20 02 2012
Tina Cantrell

How do I care for my Saucony shoes that i bought at Fleet Feet?? I know to take the insoles out, but can I put them in the washer to clean??? Thanks!

21 02 2012
Eric

Hey Tina!
That’s a great question – maybe one that we should address in a post of it’s own.

Washing your shoes is fine, but I recommend that you rinse them with cold water in a sink or outside with a hose. If you want to use soap, use a liquid detergent, because it rinses easily. Putting them in the washing machine can reduce the life of your shoes if the porous midsole foam takes on water.

When your shoes are wet, open up the laces and tongue, remove the liners, and stuff the shoes with newspaper, and place them near a source of cool, dry air. I put mine on the floor in front of the refrigerator. Switch out the wet newspaper with more dry newspaper after a few hours, and they should be dry by morning.

Don’t use heat to dry them – that can shrink the shoe which will change how they fit and will compress the midsole foam (the cushioning part of the shoe) which will reduce their usable life span. (This is also a good reason not to store them in a trunk during the heat of the summer.)

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

Eric

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: